01 Apr

Social Media 2012 Presentation

I’ve handled two keynotes in the last couple months for both the Figaro Social Media Conference and the Social Media World Forum, both in London, in the last five  months that I really enjoyed working on. The first of those two presentations is called Social Media 2012 and thanks to some persistent poking I’ve been encouraged to put them up on SlideShare including a full audio voice over.

Social Media 2012 focuses on new innovations in social media that are just starting to appear in production or experimental forms and that I believe will be future trends to watch as marketers. Regardless of your knowledge level with social media you will find content in here that you have not heard or seen before and I hope you find it as inspiring to listen to as I found it to research and develop for this presentation.

Comments (31)

Mark
Apr 04,2010 at 02:43 pm

Excellent presentation Freddie, thanks for sharing this with everyone. It has set so many ideas off bouncing around in my head that I don't know where to begin! I can see why you opted to delete 'social' from one of the sides, however coming at this from another angle do you think we could also make an argument for deleting 'media' instead by 2012?

When companies decide 'we need to have a social media strategy' they invariably think 1) get a Facebook page, 2) sell more stuff. If they were to delete the word 'media', it simply becomes 'we need a social strategy', which is about 1) being more sociable and 2) treating customers like people, regardless of the media through with they choose to communicate.

This is something that small business' have done really well over the years due to their size and human to human contact. Big corporates on the other hand have failed miserably at this and managed to cloak their antisocial behaviour with multi-million pound brand campaigns - not any more! The big corporates now have the opportunity to empower their staff and build their brands by being more sociable... whether or not they choose to take advantage of this could be the decision that makes or breaks them.

Mark
Apr 04,2010 at 09:43 am

Gian
Apr 07,2010 at 03:36 am

Freddie Thank you for these precious insights. I do agree Mark, excellent presentation.

Mark by the way, for big corporates this is the main challenge, understand this new environment and try to act properly. And I personally think they just have one option, take advantage from it, or die!

People want to talk to peers not to companies.

Gian
Apr 06,2010 at 10:36 pm

People want to talk to peers not to companies.

alice
Apr 07,2010 at 12:13 pm

A superb presentation.

One thing that should also be mentioned is the death of the web site as we know it - customers will expect web sites to be literally "living" - alive and organically social to their core.

Users simply will not be able to tolerate any sniff of staticky types of web experiences - their expectation for digital experience will have been raised almost beyond our current comprehension.

So, when considering your next big web refresh, consider the new real-time socially induced experience that users will demand. And get yourself a great agency.

alice
Apr 07,2010 at 07:13 am

A superb presentation.

Freddie Laker
Apr 07,2010 at 03:38 pm

Thanks for your feedback on my presentation.

@Mark/Gian - Great insight. I'm not sure I agree about dropping media. The main reason is that I think it's important that we (marketers) are in the business of driving commerce in whatever form. It will be up to us to learn how to do this tastefully though and in a way that works with the new channels available to us. Big businesses and small business both drop the ball here. Typically poor tactics reek of a bit of desperation. Now that we're getting better at correlating increases in conversation to sales we'll find that businesses will be more comfortable with just increased engagement.

Freddie Laker
Apr 07,2010 at 10:38 am

Thanks for your feedback on my presentation.

Denis
Apr 07,2010 at 03:55 pm

No ideas. Just trends.
And I don't agree about privacy, twitter users are exceptional. FB users are much more eagerly defending their privacy.

Denis
Apr 07,2010 at 10:55 am

No ideas. Just trends.

David Siteman Garland
Apr 07,2010 at 05:34 pm

Freddie - Fantastic post. It really caught my eye and I'd love to have you on my show via Skype to discuss (I interview entrepreneurs, media-preneurs, interesting folks, marketing leaders).

Not sure of the best way to reach out to you, but love to have you.

-D

David Siteman Garland
Apr 07,2010 at 12:34 pm

Not sure of the best way to reach out to you, but love to have you.

-D

Nirmal S
Apr 08,2010 at 03:17 pm

Freddie - Very informative. Some interesting points that caught my attention and had some questions/comments for you.

Firstly, do you see a scenario where search engines will get segmented. Search engines specially catering to social content or technical content or news etc.?

One more query: at the end of the day we have just 24 hrs. How would the competition between social sites play out? As i see it, Wave is very different from FB and FB is very different from twitter. Though ppl might open multiple accounts, there is bound to be a couple of winners who ll get the most users and that will determine how the social media landscape might change.

Lastly: Countries like India and china have a lot of catching up to do where social media is concerned. Do you see that catching up happening very quickly? Wht about other emerging markets like africa??

Wud love to hear from you :)

John Ardis
May 13,2010 at 09:27 pm

Interesting observations/predictions Freddie. For what it's worth, I suggest "Interactive Media" instead of "Digital Media" because that's what we're really talking about - the ability to interact within and across the media platform itself. In that regard, telemarketing could even be included. My 2 cents...

John Ardis
May 13,2010 at 04:27 pm

Travis
May 24,2010 at 10:19 am

Excellent presentation. Thank you for sharing.

Travis
May 24,2010 at 05:19 am

Excellent presentation. Thank you for sharing.