05 Sep

Microsoft explains why the ad is so lame

“This first set of ads features Bill Gates and comedian Jerry Seinfeld. Think of these ads as an icebreaker to reintroduce Microsoft to viewers in a consumer context. Later this month, as the campaign moves into its next phase, we’ll go much deeper in telling the Windows story and celebrating what it can do for consumers at work, at play and on-the-go.” explains Microsoft SVP Bill Veghte, in an internal email to all employees.

That explanation is as lame and as boring as the ad itself. I hope CPB has something better than celebrating what Windows can do for consumers at work if the campaign is supposed to be compared to the hilarious Mac vs. PC ads.

Comments (13)

Phil Hellary
Sep 05,2008 at 03:33 pm

Does Microsoft really have to bother about being cool? Sure its losing customers en mass to the Mac but that's a small drop in the ocean compared to the big corporations who buy license after license after license. They don't care if Microsoft is 'cool' or not anyway!!

Phil Hellary
Sep 05,2008 at 10:33 am

Ath
Sep 07,2008 at 09:38 am

The campaign isn't supposed to be comparing itself to the mac vs pc ads. It's a teaser ad. If you actually knew much about marketing, communications, "social media", you could have seen that, and probably posted a much more coherent post than just criticizing the MS SVP's quote.

But maybe you did it on purpose to invoke a reaction? So that someone could comment on your blog? Good job lads.

Ath
Sep 07,2008 at 04:38 am

Freddie Laker
Sep 08,2008 at 03:54 am

Ath -

Here are my thoughts on Rob's post and the new Microsoft Ads. For the record I have a couple macs, a couple PCs, and have an install of Ubuntu Linux I've been trying out. I don't consider myself bias in anyway. Although I have to admit I did find the Mac vs PC ads to become kind of smug and annoying in the end.

I'm a big fan of CPB's work or at least their desire if nothing else to try something new and challenging. I do know a lot about marketing, communication, and most specifically socail media campaigns and I don't think Rob or myself ever doubted the fact that this was a teaser to big year long campaign.

I'm just not sure this is the best way for them to go. The smartest thing mac has done has been to take over market share in the college market. They're the white collar workers of tomorrow. I think finding someone that is a little more relevant to a slightly younger skewed demo would have been a smarter strategy. Microsoft has always been lucky to have time and money on their side. This is one of those battles they should leverage those assets. They needs to have a multi-year plan to reclaim youth.

I have my fingers crossed for them that this was just a awkward first step down a great campaign.

Freddie Laker
Sep 07,2008 at 10:54 pm

Ath -

Rob Gonda
Sep 09,2008 at 02:59 am

Ath,

As Freddie mentioned, it is obviously a teaser, and yes, it won't be the last time that I intentionally rant about something that a small group of people understand to catch the reaction of a bigger crowed.

However, would you think this ad is part of a brilliant campaign if it was actually produced by for brand x by ad agency y? I think that it's getting buzz in the advertising / marketing community because we all know CPB have been waiting for this campaign since February; and it's getting buzz in the tech community because it's Microsoft, and they spent $10 million on Seinfeld.

I'm not sure the general public sees the ad as brilliant or would give CPB any credit once they see the second spot... I still think the ad was lame, and the letter from Microsoft's SVP bores me to death.

To end on a good note, I can even give you a preview of the next spot, it features Bill and Jerry trying to buy Apple Puree from the Soup Nazi. It has much more context that the first spot, it will create much more general public buzz, and it will be funny for all hardcore Microsoft fans ...

Rob Gonda
Sep 08,2008 at 09:59 pm

Ath,

Phil Hellary
Sep 09,2008 at 09:13 am

I agree with Freddie on the Mac vs PC ads. I never thought they were a good idea and were far too aggressive - I hate any kind of marketing that relies on putting the competition down. You should sell stuff based on *your* merits, not the demerits of others!

Back on the Microsoft advert though... I have to say I quite liked it. I don't think it'll make much of a difference to Microsoft's image among the masses but I myself liked it. Its probably because I like and admire Bill Gates - I mean, is there any bigger geek AND more successful businessman in the world? As the adverts suggest, he still shops for regular stuff. Since when has Bill Gates looked like he's had a very expensive suit on? He still buys burgers from the same local burger shop he's been to for years. In these respects, the adverts could be a big win. You don't get more human and down to Earth than their CEO - the insanely rich businessman who still shops as if he's middle classed and then donates enough money to charity each year to buy a country.

Phil Hellary
Sep 09,2008 at 04:13 am

Rob Gonda
Sep 09,2008 at 09:56 pm

I'm totally with you, even though some people see Microsoft as the evil empire, even though people hated Vista, nothing was compatible, and Microsoft even recommended users to downgrade to XP, it's all good cuz Bill Gates shops for underwear at Walmart :)

Don't get me wrong, I actually love Microsoft, they have an amazing market positioning, I respect and admire father Gates, I always recommend Microsoft servers and SQL servers, and I'm currently running Vista on my laptop... but that doesn't change the fact that I don't think this ad is effective. Can't wait for the next spot to come out.

Rob Gonda